Overseas Filipino Workers Benefits


Overseas Filipino Workers Benefits:

Downloadable Files/Documents:



The OFW Electron Card is an identification card issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) through its attached agencies, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) and the Philippines Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). The card is a multi-function card containing information about the OFW which he will need in dealing with government and private institutions, locally and abroad.

The card has the following security features:

  • photo card
  • digital signature on card face with matching signature at the back
  • tamper proof signature panel, and
  • magnetic stripe with security code.

Below are the benefits derived from issuance of an E-Card:

  • Serves as proof that card holder is a legitimate OFW and an OWWA Member
  • Provides and permanent ID card number that will link OFW's information necessary in dealing with various government and private agencies
  • Facilitates availment of OWWA benefits and services
  • Can be used as a remittance card, and ATM or a debit card at the option of the OFW.

The E-Card is given free of charge to all qualified OFWs.

All land-based workers who secure their OEC at the following offices are issued an E-card.

  • POEA headoffice
  • POEA Regional Office in Cebu City
  • OWWA Headoffice
  • Singapore
  • U.A.E. (Abu Dhabi & Dubai)

Seafarers and Landbased workers in other jobsites will get their E-Cards at appointed dates that will be announced subsequently.

For more details, Please contact our OWWA Hotline 551-1560 / 551-6641

For more questions, refer to http://www.dole.gov.ph/


Pre - Employment Services

Processing of Employment Contracts; Issuance of Overseas Employment Certificates, Name or Direct Hires, Government recruits and Household Workers
Government Placement Branch
Ground Floor
Tel. Nos. 722-11-75/76/77

Landbased & Seabased Workers Hired through Licensed Agencies
Employment Contracts Processing Branch (ECPB)
2nd floor, tel. Nos. 722-11-67/721-94-91

Balik-manggagawa Processing Division
Service Area, tel. No. 721-07-85

Accreditation of Principals and Approval of Job Orders
Accreditation Branch
Seabased: 2nd floor, Tel. No. 721-94-93
Landbased : Mezzanine floor, Tel. No. 722-11-86/87
Taiwan & Korea-Bound Workers: 2nd Floor, Tel No. 722-11-60
Household Workers : Ground Floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-76/77

Market Research and Promotions
Marketing Branch
Mezzanine Floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-62

Registration of Landbased Applicants for present and future hiring;
Issuance of Artist Record Book (ARB);
Issuance of Seafarersí Registration Cards

Manpower Registry Division
Ground Floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-43/46

Pre-employment Orientation Seminar
Workerís Education Division
2nd floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-85

Provides information and guidance to the public
POEA Action Center

Ground floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-44/55

Welfare Services

Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS);
Workerís Education Division
2nd floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-85

Welfare Services (violation of terms and conditions of employment
contracts; claims for injury/death benefits; tracing whereabouts of
workers, request for repatriation of remains, etc.)

Welfare Assistance Division
2nd floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-82

Licensing and Regulation

Issuance/Renewal of license
Licensing Branch
4th floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-49/91

Legal Assistance to victims of illegal recruitment
Anti-illegal Recruitment Branch
3rd floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-89/90//721-06-19

Labor Assistance prior to embarkation
Employment Regulation Branch
4th floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-90
Labor Assistance Counter (LAC)
NAIA-LAC, Tel. No. 8321961 local 3703


Legal Assistance and adjudication of cases arising from employee-employee relation; violation of recruitment regulations
Adjudication/Recruitment Regulation Branch
3rd floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-48/58

Legal assistance and watchlisting of contract workers facing charges and complaints
Adjudication Branch
3rd floor, Tel. No. 722-11-42/45

General Administrative and Support Services

Overseas employment statistics/
General information on overseas employment materials

Planning Branch
5th floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-83/47

Human Resource Development
Human Resources Development Division
5th floor, Tel. No. 722-11-69

Financial and other related transactions
Finance Branch
5th floor, Tel. Nos. 722-11-68/71/78

Certified copy of Information Sheet and
Overseas Employment Certificate of Filipino Overseas Worker

Records Division
6th floor, Tel. No. 721-94-89

source: http://www.poea.gov.ph/html/services.html.


How to Avoid Illegal Recruitment

  • Check name of recruitment agency against the list of agencies licensed by POEA
  • If the agency is licensed, check with the POEA Accreditation Branch if the recruiter has a current job order
  • Allowable placement fee is equivalent to one month salary exclusive of documentation and processing costs.
  • Donít pay any placement fee unless you have a genuine employment contract
  • Donít accept a tourist visa. Demand a working visa
  • Donít deal with a fixer
  • Donít be enticed by advertisements requiring you to reply to a Post Office (P.O.) Box, and to enclose payment for processing of papers
  • Avoid training centers and travel agencies who promise overseas employment

Are you a victim of illegal recruitment?

The following are considered acts of illegal recruitment as defined by RA 8042 and are basis for filing illegal recruitment cases:

  • Recruiting and charging or accepting fees without proper license or authority to recruit.
  • Furnishing or publishing any false notice or information or document in relation to recruitment or employment.
  • Giving any false notice, testimony, information or document or committing any act of misrepresentation for the purpose of securing license or authority under the Philippine Labor Code
  • Inducing or attempting to induce a worker already employed to quit his employment in order to offer him to another.
  • Influencing or attempting to influence any person or entity not to employ any worker who has not applied for employment through his agency.
  • Recruiting workers in jobs harmful to public health or morality or to the dignity of the Republic of the Philippines
  • Obstructing or attempting to obstruct inspection by the Secretary of Labor and Employment or by his duly authorized representative
  • Substituting or altering to the prejudice of the worker, employment contracts approved and verified by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) from the time of actual signing thereof by the parties up to and including the period of the expiration of the same without the approval of the DOLE.
  • Withholding or denying travel documents from applicant workers before departure for monetary or financial considerations other than those authorized under the labor code
  • Failure to actually deploy worker(s) without valid reasons as determined by the Department of Labor and Employment
  • Failure to reimburse expenses incurred by the worker in connection with his documentation and processing for purposes of deployment, in cases where the deployment does not actually take place without the workerís fault.

File your complaints at:
Legal Assistance Division

Anti-Illegal Recruitment Branch, 4th Floor, POEA Building or the nearest POEA/DOLE regional office; NBI, PNP, Police Authorities in your area

Filing Welfare Cases

POEA provides the following assistance concerning welfare of overseas workers and their families:

  • Counselling on the following:
    a) terms and conditions of employment contract
    b) family relations
    c) policies, laws
    d) general information

  • Conciliation/Conferences: (for Name Hires processed to POEA and Balik-manggagawa workers
    a. violation of terms and condition of employment contract
    b. claim for medical/death benefits

  • Request for:
    a. repatriation/for plane ticket or pre-paid ticket advice (PTA)
    b. repatriation of remains/personal belongings

  • Tracing of whereabouts

  • Indorsement to Adjudication Office of requests for watchlisting of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) with warrant of Arrest and Hold Order issued by appropriate agency. (POEA Rules, Book VII, Sec. 4)
  • Watchlisting of OFWs for monitoring and conciliation
    a. for breach of code of discipline for overseas contract workers (POEA Rules, VII, Rule VI
    b. Obligations of overseas workers, (a) (1) (2) Duty to Family)
    c. Delisting from roster of watchlisted OFWs.

  • Request for assistance in maltreatment and detention cases, (withholding of documents), etc.

  • Referral program
    a. free legal aid (Integrated bar of the Phils. (IBP), UP Law Center, Public Attorneyís Office (PAO), Department of Justice, etc., UST, Ateneo, San Beda, Commission on Human Rights, and Free Legal Assistance Group (FLAG)
    b. Coordination with appropriate office: OWWA, DFA, NLRC, Labor Posts/Embassies
  • Indorsement to Pre-Employment Services Office (PSO) of requests for inclusion of principal/employers in the POEA watch list; request for delisting
  • Issuance of clearances to agencies, OFWs, principals, employers

  • Penalties:
    a. watchlisting of principals
    b. watchlisting of workers for monitoring and conciliation
    c. suspension of documentary processing of agencies for non cooperation

Where to file:
Assistance and Welfare Division, Welfare Service Branch
2nd Floor, POEA Building
Tel. No. 722-11-96/722-11-82

Who may file :
Worker, family of contract worker, agency, employer

Documents needed:

  • Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)
  • Employment Contract
  • Death Certificate and Affidavit of Succession of Heirs (in case of death claims)
  • Medical Report (in cases of medical disability benefit claims)

    For cases of non-support:
  • Marriage Contract and birth certificate of the children

Filing Administrative Cases


For violation of recruitment laws, rules and regulations
  • overcharging of placement fee
  • pre-mature collection of placement fee
  • misrepresentation
  • withholding of travel documents
  • failure to deploy without valid reason
  • failure to reimburse documentation expenses when deployment did not take place without the workerís fault
  • substitution and alteration of employment contract

Where to get legal assistance:
Legal Assistance Division
POEA head office or any POEA Regional Office


For offenses while working overseas:

  • misappropriation of property or money of fellow worker entrusted for delivery
  • creating trouble
  • theft/robbery
  • possession of deadly weapon
  • drunkenness
  • drug addiction, etc.

Where to get legal assistance:
Legal Assistance Division
POEA head office


  • Defaulting on their contractual obligation to the workers
  • Violation of rules and regulations on overseas employment
  • Grave misconduct

Where to get legal assistance:
Legal Assistance Division
POEA head office

Philippine Embassy or Consulate nearest the jobsite of the worker

- Money claims arising from employer-employee-relationship such as unpaid wages, breach of contract and illegal dismissal

Where to get legal assistance:
Migrant Workerís Desk
National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC)
NLRC Regional Offices where the complainant resides